Friday, April 23, 2010

Awkwards

So today in my Interpersonal Communication class, we were doing assertiveness exercises. For that purpose, I had to make up unreasonable requests. Students read aloud the unreasonable requests, and then took turns responding assertively -- stating their position, acknowledging others' feelings, using dominant nonverbals, saying "No" clearly, etc.

Anyway, I had fun making up the unreasonable requests. Here they are:
  1. Hey, can I have fifty dollars?
  2. Hey, can I have a big hug and kiss?
  3. Hey, I need someplace to crash tonight, but I’m not sure what time it’ll be. Would you just leave your front door unlocked so I can come in whenever?
  4. I know you’ve got a huge final tomorrow morning, but my friend is only in town tonight and we want to play some deafeningly loud music all night. That’s okay with you, isn’t it?
  5. So I get all these hilarious jokes in my email about politics and race and sex and things, but then I feel left out because I have no one to forward them to. Mind if I start sending them all to you?
  6. My kid is selling candy bars for a band trip, but no one’s buying and this is the last day. Could you buy five hundred dollars’ worth?
  7. Could you type up my senior capstone for me? And parts of it aren’t really written yet, so could you write those?
  8. Hey, I’m going to an unlicensed bungee jumping place and it’s going to be a blast. Come with me!
  9. Wow, I forgot my toothbrush. Could I borrow yours?
  10. You’ll do me a big favor and babysit my nineteen Ritalin-addicted children tonight, right?
  11. I really need to test my eighteen-wheeler’s brakes. Would you go lie down on the driveway?
  12. I’m training my pit bull, Susan, to protect the house. Would you put on this jumpsuit made of beef and let her chase you?
  13. So my grandma gave me this rifle for my birthday and I need to break in the scope. Would you put this apple on your head?
  14. Wow, I’m wearing brand new underwear today, and it’s really itchy and uncomfortable. Could we swap?
  15. I’m feeling a little judged right now. Would you please renounce Christ and embrace Satan for me?

No comments: