Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Cambodia, Day 15

I'll get right to two prayer requests. Today I made a friend named Keo, which rhymes with Ohio, and he's remarkable. He's a second year engineering major, and he dreams of building dams and canals to supply drinking water to poor villages all over the provinces. I mentioned that engineers probably make a good living, and he said "I don't care about that at all; I want to do what God wants me to do." Keo asks that we pray for his father. His mother and sister believe in Jesus, but his father does not. He was a Buddhist monk for a number of years, and while he knows about Jesus, he hasn't yet come to believe. If you would keep Keo's father in your prayers, for him to come to know Jesus, that would be wonderful. You might also pray that Keo's studies and career be blessed, because he's going to work humbly and tirelessly to bring relief to a whole lot of suffering people, and to glorify his Creator in the process.

The other prayer request is for my student, Kia. Kia is in the storytelling class I teach every morning at 9 AM. He's trained as an English teacher, but they've been forced to discontinue classes because they don't have classroom space. They own land that's set aside to build a new classroom building, but at the moment they're out of money. If you would pray for their fundraising for the classroom building, that would also be wonderful. Kia told me that an education is one of the best protections against being trafficked, so there are lots of reasons it would be a blessing.

In other news, I can report improvement on all fronts. Storytelling went well again, the Bible study overcame a few translation struggles to end on a very high note, and Kids Club was a lot more interactive, although I did forget to start the timer, and as a result we ran a bit short. There's still room for more improvement, but I'd score it about an 8.3 out of 10. The Khmer staff are wonderful people, and the children are beautiful. I predict that by Friday I'm going to find it hard to leave.

Oh, and I had water buffalo for dinner. It was delicious.

No comments: